Last Updated on July 12, 2023
A perfectly brewed cup of pour over coffee is, well, almost heavenly. If you’ve experienced it, you know exactly what I’m talking about. Rich, clean flavor, brewed exactly the way you want it. The down side to the process is that it’s a little bit labor intensive, particularly if the schedule (and the clock) are telling you that it’s time to get movin’.
When I have the time, there is no other way to brew my java than with my trusty little ceramic pour over, #2 cone-shaped coffee filters, and freshly ground coffee beans. Oh, and the electric kettle of course, to get that water temperature just right!
But that takes some time, friends, and we don’t always have the time to carefully craft our pour over coffee.
So the perfect solution for this perfectly brewed cup of coffee is probably why you’re searching for the best automatic pour over coffee maker, with automatic being the operative word. We’d love to make that decision a little easier for you.
Our job at The Coffee Files is to do the legwork, the research, and provide you with an efficient way to decide which automatic pour over coffee maker will suit you and your lifestyle the best.
How do we come up with our ‘best of’ list? Honestly, with time, and attention to detail. We scour the internet world, discover what’s available, and filter out the machines that don’t make the cut. Then, we study the features and benefits individually for those that look promising, comb through the reviews and actually read them, to identify the pros and cons of each model as identified by real-life users. From there, we identify the top…the best…the most consistently rated higher…and present them to you.
If you happen to click on a link and then make a purchase, I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you.
- What Exactly is an Automatic Pour Over Coffee Maker?
- How Does the Automatic Pour over Coffee Machine Work?
- What Does 'Blooming' Mean?
- What's the Difference Between Drip Coffee and Pour Over Coffee?
- A Quick Guide to Making the Best Pour Over Coffee with an Automatic Coffee Maker
- The Best Automatic Pour Over Coffee Makers – Our Picks for 2023
So here is our short list for 2023, and you’ll notice that they are not ranked or categorized. Why? Well, we’re all unique coffee-drinkers, and our budgets and lifestyles are also unique. Any one of these machines could be the best automatic pour over for you. You’ll find much more detail for each brewer below.
- Technivorm Moccamaster 59616 KBG, 10-Cup Coffee Maker, 40 oz, Polished Silver
- Cuisinart CPO-800P1 PurePrecision 8 Cup Pour-Over Coffee Brewer, Silver
- Breville BDC450 Precision Brewer Coffee Maker with Thermal Carafe
- Redline MK1 Coffee Brewer (195-205 Optimum Brew Temperature, Pre-Infusion Mode Included)
- Ninja CM407 Specialty Coffee Maker, with 50 oz. Thermal Carafe, Black and Stainless Steel Finish
What Exactly is an Automatic Pour Over Coffee Maker?
When you consider the steps involved in the process of brewing a cup of pour over coffee, you most likely know that there are three components that go into creating an excellent cup of coffee:
- the coffee itself (and how it is ground)
- the water (type and temperature)
- the distribution of the heated water over the ground coffee
An automatic pour over coffee machine is constructed to recreate the process of distributing the water, at the perfect temperature, over the grounds, in a similar way that it would be accomplished by hand.
This means that the grounds are first soaked in a small amount of water and allowed to ‘bloom’ (more on that in a moment), then the heated water is evenly distributed, still at the perfect temperature, over the grounds to complete the brewing process.
How Does the Automatic Pour over Coffee Machine Work?
An automatic pour over coffee maker will replicate fairly closely the process of distributing heated water over the grounds in wide, even patterns. Think of a sprinkler-type showerhead to get a visual of the process.
The water temperature is precisely controlled with many automatic pour over machines, making sure it is kept between 197 and 205 degrees Farhenheit throughout the brewing process. Some machines keep the heated water separate from the water storage tank to ensure a proper temperature is maintained.
A unique, and critical piece of the pour over brewing process is when the coffee is allowed to bloom. An automatic pour over coffee maker will include this all-important step that can dramatically affect the taste of the brewed coffee.
What Does ‘Blooming’ Mean?
Here’s how the coffee blooming process works, whether it is done by hand or with an automatic pour over coffee maker.
- When the water temperature reaches the proper level, a small amount is sprinkled over the ground coffee
- Once the grounds are wet, they are left for a short time and allowed to ‘bloom’, usually about 30 seconds
- The grounds absorb the water and then release their oils, which gives your cup of coffee such great flavor
- Blooming also allows carbon dioxide to escape, which will improve the flavor, as carbon dioxide will infuse a sour taste into the coffee
What’s the Difference Between Drip Coffee and Pour Over Coffee?
Well, here’s the thing. Coffee brewed with a drip coffee maker is fine, sometimes it can be pretty tasty. But, the brewing process with a drip coffee maker just doesn’t provide the depth of flavor and richness that can be obtained with an automatic pour over.
- the water temperature may not be as hot, or consistent, as with a pour over coffee maker
- the water is funneled onto the grounds in one constant stream (it’s not bloomed) so the flavor may not be as deep, intense, or clean-tasting
A Quick Guide to Making the Best Pour Over Coffee with an Automatic Coffee Maker
The spiffiest pour over coffee maker in the universe is only as good as the coffee and water used in the process. And that’s where you come in, my friend.
When it comes to the coffee, there is not just one brand, blend, or roast that will be the perfect choice for everyone. That decision comes with good old tasting experimentation and coffee drinking experience. Many coffee lovers who enjoy a pour tend to want a stronger cup of coffee, so they use a dark roast and/or more coffee per cup.
But, once you discover the roast that makes you swoon, your pour over coffee experience will be the best ever when you grind the whole coffee beans just prior to brewing. Yes, that means you need a coffee grinder, an electric model unless you want to get in an arm workout before each cup of java. A burr grinder will give you the most even grind of the bean, like this one from Sboly.
Water is just water, right? Nope. Not when it comes to making a really good cup of coffee. Using filtered water will produce the best tasting brew. And that’s what we’re all after.
So remember, grind the beans and use filtered water. Now all you have to do is select the best pour over coffee machine and you’re good to go.
The Best Automatic Pour Over Coffee Makers – Our Picks for 2023
Our research concludes that any one of these automatic pour over coffee makers could be the best choice for you. You’ll find a variety of price points (we didn’t plan it that way…the ratings and reviews did!) to suit your budget. Check out the highlights and considerations for each, and see what might speak to you. Every machine is capable of brewing a hot, tasty cup of pour over coffee!
perfect coffee every time
- Brews a 40 oz pot of coffee in 4 – 6 minutes
- Warmer has two settings, 175 or 185 degrees
- 9-hole outlet to pulse water over grounds
- Auto shut off after 100 minutes
- 5 year warranty with replaceable parts
- Copper heating element
- Offered in a variety of colors and finishes to match your decor
- The cost
- Some reviewers state that the coffee tastes burnt
- Some reviewers state that the coffee-making process is laborious
The Bottom Line:
84% of over 3,000 reviewers have given the Techinivorm Moccamaster 4 stars or higher as of this update. If you’re searching for a well-made cup of pour over coffee that is quickly and efficiently produced by a beautiful coffee maker, consider this machine.
- Perfect Coffee Every Time: This pump-free coffee maker heats water to the correct temperature for coffee extraction
- Easy to Use: The Moccamaster brews a full 40 oz pot of coffee in 4-6 minutes using one switch
- Quiet and Safe: The Moccamaster KBG quietly brews your coffee and automatically turns off after 100 minutes
- Quality Materials: Moccamasters last a lifetime. We use BPA/BPS/BPF and Phthalate free plastics and durable stainless steel and aluminum
- Delicious Coffee and Peace of Mind: Moccamaster coffee brewers have a 5-year warranty
- Flavor strength control – mild, medium, bold
- 8-cup (6 oz) glass carafe with thermal carafe optional
- Grounds are pre-wet to allow for blooming
- SCAA Home Brewer Certification
- Temperature control – hot, extra-hot
- Attractive, sleek design
- 3 year warranty
- Learning curve to discovering the best tasting coffee for your preferences
- Some reviewers state that the display dims over time
The Bottom Line:
With three brewing settings and two temperature controls, this automatic pour-over from Cuisinart has many loyal coffee-drinking fans.
- Note: 1)Too coarse a grind, too little coffee, or insufficiently tamping the grounds before brewing can all lead to inadequate pressure for a proper brew. 2)It is important to note that the amount of espresso extracted will vary depending on the grind size and amount and reprogramming may be needed when the size and amount are adjusted
- SCAA CERTIFIED: Meets the Specialty Coffee Association of America's rigorous technical requirements for exemplary home brewers
- FULLY AUTOMATIC COFFEE BREWER: 24-hour programmability, auto on/off functionality, and self clean
- TEMPERATURE CONTROL: Variable heater plate for temperature control that is adjustable – hot and extra hot settings – keep coffee at the temperature you prefer
- FLAVOR STRENGTH CONTROL: Select mild, medium or bold coffee flavor to perfectly match your coffee taste preference
brew your perfect cup of coffee, automatically!
- Stainless steel construction
- SCA Certified
- Thermal carafe holds up to 60 oz.
- Uses flat bottom or cone filters
- 2 year warranty
- Programmable, with auto shut off
- Customizable bloom time, water temp and flow rate
- Some reviewers state the machine is loud
- The cost
- Some reviewers state that pouring hot water into carafe before use will keep the coffee hot longer
- Some reviewers comment about a learning curve to making the best cup of coffee
The Bottom Line:
Many positive comments about ease of use and cleanup for this sleek designed pour over coffee maker. Reviewers give high marks for the ability to customize their coffee, or simply push a button and set it to product a cup exactly as recommended by the SCA.
Simple, elegant design + affordability
- Pre-infusion mode allows for blooming of coffee
- Designed for ease of use and care
- 2 year warranty
- Some reviewers find a 30 minute shut off too short
- Redline is not a household name
The Bottom Line:
Simple, elegant design is just the starting point for the positives with this affordable automatic pour over coffee maker. So many positive comments from reviewers about great-tasting coffee (and they are picky coffee people!) at a reasonable price.
Highly rated, SCA Certified
- Variety of coffee drink capability
- Specialty Coffee Association (SCA) Certification
- Fold-away frother
- Larger capacity – 50 oz.
- ‘Keep Warm’ time can be extended
- Larger size
- Is not intended for brewing espresso coffee
- Half pot or whole pot are the only options
- Frothing tool does not actually steam the milk
The Bottom Line:
If your search for the best automatic pour over coffee maker ‘wish list’ includes the ability to brew a variety of specialty coffees, the Ninja CM407 is probably going to be your choice! Many rave reviews, with 85% of reviewers (over 15,000 of them with this update) giving it 4 stars or higher .
- Specialty brew: brew super-rich Coffee concentrate that you can use to create delicious lattes, macchiato, cappuccinos, and other coffeehouse-style drinks.
- Iced Coffee: brew fresh over ice for flavorful Iced Coffee that's never watered down
- 6 brew sizes: brew anything from a single cup or travel size to a half carafe or a full carafe in your Coffee maker
- Fold-away frother: turns hot or cold milk into silky-smooth froth
- No Pods Required: Up to 200 dollars in annual savings using grounds vs. pods Based on a 2.5-cup daily average consumption of popular coffee brands
What is a pour over coffee maker?
A pour over coffee maker is designed to recreate the process of distributing heated water, at the perfect temperature, over the grounds, in a way that is similar to what would be accomplished by doing it manually. This includes allowing the coffee to ‘bloom’. Another distinction is the ability to keep the water temperature at the desired level throughout the brewing process.
Who would benefit from a pour over type of coffee maker?
Any coffee lover who knows the difference in the taste, depth, and mouthfeel of a cup of brewed coffee may want to consider an automatic pour over coffee maker. Have you been brewing your java using the pour over method manually? You might love the efficiency of an automate pour over machine!
How is a pour over different from a drip coffee maker?
The two main differences between drip and pour over machines have to do with water temperature and how the heater water is distributed over the grounds. Many drip coffee makers are not able to hold the water temperature at the desired level, usually between 197 and 205 degrees Fahrenheit. And, a drip coffeemaker will distribute the water in a straight stream over the grounds, with no time for blooming, nor is there even distribution over all of the grounds.
What does it mean when the coffee blooms?
A small amount of the heated water is poured over the grounds and once covered, is allowed to sit for about 30 seconds, sometimes up to a minute. The grounds absorb the water and release their oils, which gives your cup of coffee great flavor. Blooming also allows carbon dioxide to escape, allowing for better flavor with no bitterness.
Is a pour over coffee maker hard to use?
Any automatic coffee maker will have a small learning curve, and a pour over coffee maker is no exception. If ease of use is high on your priority list, be sure to note the comments for that. All that said, most of the automatic pour over coffee makers we’ve rated are not difficult to use once the process is understood.
What does SCA certified mean?
SCA stands for the Specialty Coffee Association. A certification means that the product meets the association’s rigorous technical requirements for home brewers. Here are more details in the words of the SCA themselves: Developed by coffee science experts and professional coffee tasters, this program reviews brewers designed for in-home use to determine if they meet the rigorous requirements of brewed coffee quality as determined by the SCA. These requirements are based on decades of industry knowledge and research by the Coffee Brewing Center. All SCA Certified Brewers have met these requirements, which are based on proper water temperature, brewing time, and ability to brew within the SCA Golden Cup recommendations. If a brewer passes all of the tests as described below and conducted by the SCA, that brewer will be recognized as an exemplary home brewer and join the short list of SCA Certified Brewers.
We like to keep things simple at The Coffee Files, providing a thorough review of products, such as the best automatic pour over coffee maker, without getting into the technical aspects to the point that our reader’s eyes glaze over.
Hopefully, you’ve discovered the coffee machine that’s going to give you the best tasting cup of pour over coffee in a reliable way, at a price that fits your budget!
Featured image: Motif Elements
Candi Randolph is a coffee lover, blogger, and content creator who loves to share her knowledge with the coffee-drinking world. You’ll often find her tending to her coffee bar at home, deciding which method to use to brew her next cup of java. Life is full of important decisions. ☕