Best Grind and Brew Coffee Makers for 2023
How to Choose the Best Model for You
There's nothing quite as satisfying as a hot cup of coffee brewed with freshly ground coffee beans. Seriously. So if you're searching for the best grind and brew coffee maker, we understand the goal and have put in the time to provide you with all of the pertinent details.
Whether you're just beginning to enjoy the coffee experience, or you want to learn more about how to make really good coffee at home, the idea of a grind and brew machine is intriguing, I've got you covered, my friend.
Chances are you've decided that the convenience of grinding fresh coffee beans within the coffee maker itself is your preferred method, or at least deserves serious consideration prior to making a purchase decision. Sure, you could purchase a separate coffee grinder and use that device, but if you want one-stop preparation, a grind and brew just makes sense.
We'll provide the features and benefits of each unit as well as the reviewer feedback and comments that will help you decide which type of grind and brew coffee maker will work best for you and your lifestyle. Because, we're fussy coffee drinkers, aren't we?
And, we know that within the realm of the best grind and brew coffee maker there are distinctions such as...regular coffee or espresso option? A compact 4-cup grind and brew? A single cup grind and brew? No worries, we've got you covered in all of these categories. Just use the handy table of contents below to skip to the gear that most appeals to you!
First, here is our list of the Best Grind & Brew Coffee Makers for 2023, 10-cup to 12-cup, with all of the detail for each recommendation below:
Searching for the Best Compact Grind and Brew Coffee Maker? We've got you covered in the 4-cup and 5-cup category, with a recommendation that could be your perfect choice:
How do we come up with our 'best of' list? Honestly, with time, and attention to detail. We scour the internet world, discover what's available, and filter out the machines that don't make the cut. Then, we study the features and benefits individually for those that look promising, comb through the reviews and actually read them, to identify the pros and cons of each model as identified by real-life users. From there, we identify the top...the best...the most consistently rated higher...and present them to you.
If you happen to click on a link and then make a purchase, I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you.
you might also like: the best coffee beans for espresso and how to choose them
BEST GRIND AND BREW COFFEE MAKERS: 10-CUP AND 12-CUP
You'll find all the details here for each of the grind and brew coffee makers that are listed above.
NOTE: THESE GRIND AND BREW MACHINES MADE THE CUT AFTER OUR THOROUGH REVIEW, AND BASED ON YOUR PERSONAL PREFERENCES ANY ONE OF THEM COULD BE THE PERFECT CHOICE. THUS, WE DO NOT RANK THE LIST.
As you're going over the features and benefits, the Pros and Cons, see what jumps out at you and envision the machine sitting on your kitchen counter at home (or wherever you plan to place it).
How do you think those model details will impact your household coffee-making routine? There is not a yes or no answer that will apply to everyone; it is a personal and lifestyle preference.
As you're searching, keep these points in mind to help you decide what might work best for you and your household:
- Are you willing to spend a little more for a grind and brew coffee maker? It's not quite like a $25 no-frills standard model.
- Buying whole bean coffee can be a lot of fun, including experimenting with new and different roasts. But it's also a little more work to get what you want. Are you willing to do that? Of course, the online options are expanding all the time. But, it's not quite the same as strolling into the local market and pulling just what you want off of the shelf.
- Grinding coffee makes noise...it's all part of the process. And even the best grind and brew coffeemaker is going to, well, grind away for a short time. Note what reviewers have to say about the noise level as you're reading up on the models below.
- Size matters, at least with some of the grind and brew coffee makers listed here. Be sure to note the dimensions, particularly the height, to make sure your designated coffee area is the proper size.
- The bells and whistles vary with the grind and brew models, so think about how important auto-start is, or the ability to adjust the grind of the beans, for example.
- The type of grinder can impact the overall brew, too, with the main two types being a burr grinder and a blade grinder. Typically, a burr grinder will cost more. It will grind the beans to uniform-size particles, and give you a better result in coffee brew and flavor. A blade grinder, the more budget-friendly choice between the two, chops the bean at high speed and the result is not as consistent in size. Is a blade grinder bad? Of course not. It just depends on how important it is to you to have a higher quality grinder.
- Think about whether or not you might want to grind fresh coffee beans and use a different brewing method, such as a pour over or french press. Does it make sense to have both a grind and brew coffee maker and a separate coffee grinder? No right or wrong answer here, just something to consider.
- A coffee maker that grinds whole beans, even the best grind and brew coffee maker, has more working parts than a traditional coffee maker, and with that comes the possibility of performance issues. Sure, any coffee maker can have technical problems, but you increase the opportunity for that to happen with a built-in grinder. Just a point to keep in mind.
Cuisinart DGB-550BKP1 Grind & Brew Automatic Coffeemaker, 12 Cup, Black
Reviewers (and there are many...over 11,000 as of this update...have quite a bit to say about this model. And after reading more than a few, the majority are quite favorable, particularly from purchasers who've had a more expensive grind and brew product.
Dimensions: 7.5" x 12" x 15"
Features of this coffee maker to take note of:
- 24 hour programmability
- Glass carafe
- Flavor strength options - regular, bold, or extra-bold
- Grind control - 4 to 12 cups
- Gold-tone permanent filter
- Half-pound bean hopper with sealed lid
Easy to use and clean
Good value for the price
Carafe spills coffee when pouring
Grinder is noisy (aren't they all?)
- Please refer to user guide or user manual or user guide (provided below in PDF) before first use
- 24-hour programmability with 12-Cup glass carafe featuring an ergonomic handle, dripless pour spout and knuckle guard
- Grinds whole beans right before brewing to produce fresh and flavorful coffee. Grind off feature for pre ground coffee
- Brew-pause feature, auto shutoff from 0 to 4 hours, and 1- to 4-Cup feature
- Please make sure the 1-4 setting button is pushed on. This setting does make a stronger cup of coffee due to the slower brewing process
Breville BDC650BSS Grind Control Coffee Maker
With an overall review rating of 3.9 out of 5 stars, this Breville model can produce a hot, fresh, and very tasty cup of coffee as long as you're willing to keep the unit clean. Some reviewers state that using an oilier bean (darker roast) requires more cleaning to keep the unit in top working condition.
As with any type of kitchen gear, learning how to brew your 'perfect' cup of coffee may take a little time as you experiment with the ratios of beans to water (as well as the roast!)
Dimensions of this unit are 12.5" x 8.5" x 16"
Features of this coffee maker to take note of:
- Brew from 1 to 12 cups of coffee
- 8 strength settings for fresh grind, or use ground coffee
- LCD screen provides real-time feedback on levels and settings
- Burr grinder
Quiet grinder relative to other grind and brews
Easy to read LCD display
Make sure carafe is empty before brewing a fresh pot (overflow)
- Product note: Please refer to user manual (provided below in PDF) before first use.Note: 1)Too coarse a grind, too little coffee, or insufficiently tamping the grounds before brewing can all lead to inadequate pressure for a proper brew. 2)It is important to note that the amount of espresso extracted will vary depending on the grind size and amount and reprogramming may be needed when the size and amount are adjusted
Capresso 465 Coffee Team TS 10-Cup Digital Coffeemaker with Conical Burr Grinder and Thermal Carafe
If a 10-cup coffee maker fits your needs, the conical burr grinder and stainless steel thermal carafe are definitely pluses to consider. As of this writing the Capresso Coffee Team unit receives a 3.9 out of 5 stars from over 1,800 Amazon reviewers.
Walmart reviewers give this model a 4.0 out of 5 stars
Note the compact size, too: 9" x 9.5" x 15.5"
Features of this coffee maker to take note of:
- brew from 2 to 10 cups
- pause and serve feature
- conical burr grinder for more uniform grind
- attractive style - stainless steel accents and carafe
- direct-feed technology
- 3 grind options
- brew 3 strength options
- gold-tone filter included, #4 flat
Carafe keeps coffee hot according to many reviewers
Detachable see-through cover to check flow of ground coffee
Grinder channel easy to clean
Does not produce steam when brewing
Carafe retains a small amount of liquid
Some reviewers comment that the brewing process doesn't wet all of the coffee grounds
Some reviewers state that the coffee is not kept hot enough
you might also like: how to choose the best coffee for cold brew
BEST GRIND AND BREW COFFEE MAKER - 4-CUP AND 5-CUP
If a smaller unit is what you need, check out this 5-cup grind and brew coffee makers. Note that in most cases a cup is defined as approximately 6 ounces, so that will give you about 2, 12 ounce mugs of coffee.
Mixpresso 5-Cup Drip Coffee Maker with Built In Burr Coffee Grinder
More than 8,000 Amazon reviewers have given this model 4.1 out of 5 stars. However, it is worth noting that the reviews are combined for the 5-cup, 8-cup, 10-cup, and 12-cup Grind and Brew.
Dimensions: 7" x 10" x 11
Features of this coffee maker to take note of:
- Small business owned
- 24-hour programmability
- Removable mesh filter basket
- Can make 2 to 5 cups of coffee
- Grind whole beans or use ground coffee
- Non-stick warming plate
Easy to clean and use
Brews coffee quickly
Timer can be hard to use
Not built to last (it also is not a high ticket item)
Warmer doesn't keep coffee hot enough
- Coffee Maker With Grinder - Mixpresso allows you to enjoy an aromatic morning coffee, and whether you want to use whole coffee beans or ground coffee, our smart coffee maker will allow you to enjoy both options; the blade grinder automatically grinds whole beans right before brewing to produce grind fresh coffee beans that give a richer flavor to your coffee for daily use and a different experience.
- Easy To Operate - The programmable coffee maker is easy to use; the Lcd screen for comfortable use, delayed brew function up to 24-hour programmability will help you program the coffee brew time in advance, Automatically turns off for saving unnecessary energy, in this grind and brew coffee maker the High-Tech Grinder grinds beans in a high speed & quiet right before brewing for enticingly rich aroma and full-bodied flavor.
- User-friendly Design - Our coffee machine grind and brew is an ideal size that will allow you to enjoy more than one cup of coffee; capacity: 25 oz water tank, can make 2-5 cups of aromatic and rich coffee. Non-Stick warming plate that keeps the coffee at the optimum temperature, built-in smart anti-drip feature to keep your countertop in your kitchen clean!!
- Coffee Machine With Grinder - As part of the grinder machine, a removable mesh filter basket, a plastic spoon for filling your ground or beans coffee, and a high-temperature glass coffee pot with a clear water level indicator.
- Customer Support - We, at mixpresso, offer not only top grade coffee makers 5 cup, with good quality products but also provide top of line customer service along with our 1-year warranty policy with no questions asked, which you won't get with other brands that sell coffee pots!!
you might also like: 10 best dark roast k-cup to try
SINGLE CUP GRIND AND BREW MACHINE
So, you want a single-cup grind and brew machine. Just for one. All the time. Okay, you got it!
Mixpresso has you covered with their Single Cup Coffee Maker. It comes with a travel mug, but you can also use a standard coffee cup or mug. And, if you prefer the convenience of ground coffee, that's an option as well.
The coffee mug is stainless steel.
Affordable and convenient, so check this one out if a single cup is all you need.
- Grind And Brew Coffee Maker: To enjoy the single serve drip coffee maker with a built-in grinder, add your favorite grinds of whole coffee beans; the portable coffee maker will grind. After grinding, brewing automatically commences, protecting flavor and aroma, even during extended grinding.
- Easy To Operate: With dual brewing options, you can choose whole coffee beans or coffee powder to enjoy a rich cup of aroma coffe with our grind and brew single cup coffee maker. Pre-ground coffee lovers can enjoy their favorite pre-ground coffee with this simple coffee maker.
- 14 Oz Tumbler: This will keep your morning coffee nice and warm for longer. The sturdy stainless steel and comfortable rubber grip make our convenient travel coffee mug a must-have accessory for every coffee lover.
- Easy To Clean And Use: The coffee machine with a grinder has an illuminated one-touch button. Our electric coffee brewer features an auto shut-off function that will shut off your personal drip coffee maker. All parts of the single cup coffee maker, including the removable bin grinding chamber, mesh filter basket, are easy to clean.
- Customer Support: Mixpresso personal single cup coffeemaker is covered under our 1-year warranty, which you won't get with other brands!
ESPRESSO GRIND AND BREW MACHINES
If you're considering a grind and brew espresso machine, you'll be investing more money but will receive a more sophisticated product in return. Most will include a milk frother, a critical component for coffee drinks.
This is just a quick view of someof the higher rated espresso grind and brew machines. If you're watching the budget, learn more about the best espresso machines for under $100.
Here are some well-rated machines to consider:
- Note: 1)Too coarse a grind, too little coffee, or insufficiently tamping the grounds before brewing can all lead to inadequate pressure for a proper brew. 2)It is important to note that the amount of espresso extracted will vary depending on the grind size and amount and reprogramming may be needed when the size and amount are adjusted
- FRESH ESPRESSO FOR EVERY CUP: The professional burr grinder with 13 adjustable settings grinds fresh beans every time to ensure maximum freshness. You can also use pre-ground in the second chamber. Your choice of regular, specialty or decaf.
- YOUR FOAM, YOUR WAY: A manual frother mixes steam and milk to create a rich, creamy froth for evenly textured drinks – just the way you like them.
- CONSISTENT BREWING EVERY TIME: Each cup is automatically brewed to the perfect temperature, richness and density. And you can customize the settings to ensure its always just the way you like it.
- EASY TO CLEAN AND HANDLE: The compact, extractable brew unit is not only easy to clean, it self-adjusts for one or two shots of espresso.
- Earn up to $200 cashback with a Beanz coffee subscription when you purchase a selected Breville espresso machine. Visit earn-cashback.breville.com purchase to claim. Valid Aug 1, 2023 until Dec 31, 2023
- The Breville Barista Express delivers third wave specialty coffee at home using the 4 keys formula and is part of the Barista Series that offers all in one espresso machines with integrated grinder to go from beans to espresso in under one minute
- DOSE CONTROL GRINDING: Integrated precision conical burr grinder grinds on demand to deliver the right amount of freshly ground coffee directly into the portafilter for your preferred taste with any roast of bean
- OPTIMAL WATER PRESSURE: Low pressure pre-infusion gradually increases pressure at the start and helps ensure all the flavors are drawn out evenly during the extraction for a balanced tasting cup
- PRECISE ESPRESSO EXTRACTION: Digital temperature control (PID) delivers water at precisely the right temperature, ensuring optimal espresso extraction
- With Philips 1200 Series enjoy the delicious taste and aroma of coffee from fresh beans at the perfect temperature.Filter type:Reusable
- Classic Milk Frother System: Dispenses steam, allowing you to easily prepare silky smooth milk froth for your cappuccino
- Intuitive Touch Display: Select the perfect coffee for your mood with just one touch
- My Coffee Choice Menu: Adjust the strength and quantity of your beverage and choose from three different settings to suit your preferences. The Aroma Extract system intelligently strikes the optimum balance between brewing temperature and aroma extraction by keeping the water temperature between 90 and 98°C
- Powerful Filter and Easy Maintenance: Thanks to the AquaClean, enjoy clear and purified water - by changing the filter after being prompted by the machine, you will not need to descale your machine for up to 5000 cups
YOU MIGHT ALSO WANT TO KNOW... (FAQ)
The ability to grind the coffee beans just prior to brewing in one step, with one piece of coffee gear, is the main reason most of us choose a grind and brew combination. It can be more efficient in terms of an all-in-one type of unit, and certainly has the potential for a very tasty cup of coffee!
Most models offer some type of grinding option, at least two and some offer up to eight grinding levels. This allows you to really experiment and find that perfect sip, prepared just the way you like it.
The quick response? Carefully and often! In all seriousness, though, it is essential that you maintain your grind and brew coffee maker according to the manufacturer's instructions. Yes, sometimes those instructions can be a little hard to read and interpret, but in the end they are really important when it comes to helping you understand how and when to clean the machine.
In reading many, many consumer reviews for a variety of grind and brew coffee makers, sometimes the problem with the machine was created simply because the owner did not follow the instructions.
It is very difficult to predict how long a grind and brew coffee maker will last. Certainly you'll want to refer to the warranty information for any unit before purchase, as that will tell you how long you're protected, and what the parameters of that protection are. Remember that a grind and brew machine has a number of working parts, and along with that comes more potential for problems.
Consider the overall investment you're making into the machine. In general, you get what you pay for.
Well, it will depend on what you're searching for. A smaller grind and brew coffee maker will cost less than a 10-cup or 12-cup machine. An espresso/coffee machine with lots of bells and whistles will be an investment for sure. In general, a smaller machine, 4-cup or 5-cup, will run less than $100 (as of this writing). A full size grind and brew coffee maker will start at around $80, and can cost $150-$200 on average.
Bottom line? It depends on how much you want to pay and what you're looking for in the machine.
Candi Randolph is a coffee lover, blogger, and content creator who loves to share her knowledge with the coffee-drinking world. You'll often find her tending to her coffee bar at home, deciding which method to use to brew her next cup of java. Life is full of important decisions!
Last Updated on January 20, 2023